Travel Planning


Best time to visit Hong Kong
Hong Kong can be visited at most times of the year but the best weather and time to go is usually from September to February when temperatures are a little cooler but humidity is still fairly high.

Travel Health
There are no major health hazards but it is advisable to ensure that meat and fish has been cooked thoroughly to avoid food poisoning. 

Tap water is drinkable but many prefer to drink from bottled water. With Hong Kong's hot and humid weather, it is important to drink water at regular intervals to avoid heat exhaustion.

It is always advisable to take out comprehensive travel insurance to cope with the unexpected such as medical bills, cancellations, lost luggage and flight delays. 

Transport - Getting to & around Hong Kong
Hong Kong has an excellent transport system which is clean, relatively inexpensive and reliable. See the section on Hong Kong Transport for more details on local transport as well as getting to and from Hong Kong's modern Chek Lap Kok Airport. Hong Kong is a major tourist destination and is also a gateway to many countries in Asia including China, Japan and Thailand. When booking a flight to Hong Kong, it is often advisable to book early to make the most of lower prices.

The Hong Kong dollar is currently available in denominations of 10, 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1000 with coins availabe in the following amounts - HK $ 1, 2, 5 and 10 as well as 10, 20 and 50 cents. Visa, Mastercard and other cards such as American Express are widely accepted and ATMs are can be found in many places allowing cash to be withdrawn from credit and debit cards.

Visa Information
Most visitors can expect to enter Hong Kong and receive a visa ranging from 7 days to 6 months based on nationality. For up to date information on visa requirements, please visit your Chinese Consulate office or check their website online. In general, British citizens can stay in Hong Kong for up to 180 days and 90 days if the individual is from a British dependent territory. Nationals from the European Union (except for Britain), Australia, Canada and the USA can stay for upto 90 days.

Translate »